From creating Cradle to Cradle products that can be recycled back into themselves again and again at the end of their useful lives or using alternative fuels like yellow grease, to monitoring our transportation miles to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, our Green Edge Initiatives show our commitment to Sustainability™ Through Innovation in action.
INITIATIVE | 006 The commercial building industry pushed EcoWorx® tile to the forefront upon its introduction in 1999. Within five years, customers had self-selected the new backing technology, which reached 70 percent of Shaw's total carpet tile production by the end of 2003. Because of the sustainable benefits of EcoWorx, Shaw exited PVC production completely in 2004. EcoWorx is a cradle-to-cradle product that contains 40% recycled content and has been assessed by the MBDC Design Protocol as safe for human health and the environment. EcoWorx backing is also recognized with Cradle to Cradle Silver Certification, giving Shaw the only carpet products to earn this designation that contributes to USGBC's LEED® Green Building Rating System™.
In 2003, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) awarded Shaw the Presidential Green Chemistry Challenge Award, recognizing Shaw for creating EcoWorx. This recyclable backing has less embodied energy than traditional PVC carpet tiles, all the while maintaining equal or greater performance. Shaw is one of few manufacturers to ever receive this distinction.
EcoWorx is backed with an environmental guarantee, meaning Shaw will pick up all EcoWorx-backed products, at no cost to the customer, and recycle it into more EcoWorx.
EcoWorx tile features
- Alternative to PVC
- Cradle to Cradle Silver Certified by MBDC
- Assessed by MBDC Design Protocol as safe for human health and the environment
- Backed with an environmental guarantee, meaning Shaw will pick up EcoWorx-backed products, at no cost to the customer, and recycle it into more EcoWorx
- Low VOC emissionsâ€”all carpet backed with EcoWorx passes CRI Green Label and Green Label Plus certifications
- Contains 40% recycled content
- Strongest, most durable backing-- 5x greater tensile strength, 8x greater tear lamination strength than PVC strength, and 2x greater
- Dimensionally stable
- Lifetime commercial warranty covering edge ravel, zippering, delamination and moisture degradation
- Almost 1 billion square feet in use and 10 years of proven performance
Cost and Installation Benefits
- No added cost for a sustainable product
- No reclamation, transportation or tipping fees at product end of life
- 24" x 24" tile size allows for large design elements and installation efficiency
- Smart packaging allows pallets to fit through standard doorways
- Lightweight design contributes to ease of installation
Awards and Recognition
- Best of NeoCon - Most Innovative Product Award
- US Environmental Protection Agency Presidential Green Chemistry Challenge Award